What have I been up to for the past year? Part 1 - crochet

I haven't been able to post for ages so I am excited to be blogging again. Hopefully, now school has finished, I can post on here more frequently. This post will be a time to catch up on things I have been doing and also to share with you some of the projects, designs and submissions I have been working on.

Since I last posted on this blog, I have had my first two designs published in Crochet Now's magazine. You can find my patterns in Crochet Now Issue 34 and Crochet Now Issue 37. As an added bonus, my Issue 34 design was the main feature on the cover! I am currently in the process of writing up both of these patterns and will upload my own photos when I can.

You may have seen on my Instagram (@handmade_by_joe) that I recently completed my first crocheted garment. I made a cardigan for my mum's birthday and it turned out really well! I used Jess's pattern from Make and do Crew (https://makeanddocrew.com/alchemy-cardigan-crochet-along-2018/)). The pattern is free and I would recommend it to crocheters at all skill levels. I was very pleased with the wool I used (which I got on offer at my local Weavers Spinners and Dyers Guild) and the colour worked very well too. I had never crocheted with yarn on a cone before and I found it less practical than using regular balls of yarn. I caked most of it up rather than working straight from the cone and also worked with two strands to fit the gauge given.


Recently, I made my mum a peacock-inspired scarf for mother's day and after going to the 'Spring into Wool' show in Leeds, I managed to apply a surface crochet technique that I learnt there to create some daisies which gave the scarf a nice finish. I still haven't blocked it so I will share the finished project photos on here as soon as I can.

One of my smaller projects was an amigurumi dog for my brother's birthday. I found the pattern in an issue of Simply Crochet and it was really enjoyable to make.


Another project which has been on my hooks for a while now is the Chevron cardigan by Fran Morgan. The colours I have chosen work well together and I am really pleased with how it has turned out so far. It is a present for my nan's birthday.


 


                                   

Comments

Popular Posts